A NEW POLL: MULVANEY PULLS EVEN WITH SPRATT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

A NEW POLL: MULVANEY PULLS EVEN WITH SPRATT

Spratt’s unfavorable ratings exploding, Mulvaney’s numbers rising

Rock Hill, S.C. – May 27, 2010 – Fourteen-term Liberal incumbent John Spratt — who served as Nancy Pelosi’s chief architect and sponsor of the Obamacare health care bill — is in his most precarious re-election position to date, according to new polling data released today.

Meanwhile, state Senator Mick Mulvaney’s campaign is quickly gaining momentum even at this early stage in the race.

In a poll conducted by the firm Public Opinion Strategies from May 17-18, the news is all bad for Spratt:

On a generic ballot, Republicans now lead Democrats in South Carolina’s 5th Congressional District by a margin of 45 percent to 36 percent. Almost 60% of those polled believe that it is time for a new person to be elected, and only 30% believe Spratt deserves to be re-elected.

What’s worse for Spratt is that his own favorability rankings in the district he’s represented for a quarter century are plummeting. In October of last year, he enjoyed a 51 percent approval rating in his district. That has dropped to 42 percent during the interceding months, while the percentage of voters with an unfavorable view of him has soared – from 19 percent to 33 percent. Critical independent voters – who make up a large portion of the District – view him unfavorably overall, by a margin of 9 points.

Meanwhile, with only an old-fashioned grassroots effort so far, Senator Mick Mulvaney’s message of less spending, lower taxes, and fiscal responsibility is gaining traction with voters.

All of that combines for a head-to-head ballot showing the race functionally tied. Last October, Spratt enjoyed a considerable 48-35 margin. And among energized voters — those most likely to vote in November – Mulvaney leads by a stunning 7 points.

“John Spratt may not have been paying attention to what was in which version of the healthcare bill, but he can rest assured that voters have been watching – and it’s clear that they don’t like what they see,” Mulvaney said. “Congressman Spratt has lost touch with his constituents, and there’s no clearer evidence of that than his voting record – a stimulus bill that didn’t create jobs, a healthcare takeover that will drive up costs for businesses, and massive debt and spending that will put future generations on the hook for trillions. The message is loud and clear: voters are ready to change Congress. At this early stage in the race, we are very pleased to see the tide turning.”

-###-

MEDIA CONTACT
Danielle McAdaragh
803.577-6234

Comments

1. Wayne Fisher says:

I am an independent voter who recently moved to Sun City Carolina Lakes and I am supporting Mick Mulvaney for Congress.

Spratt has consistently voted with the Pelosi/Reid/Obama agenda to weaken our country financially with the ill advised passage of the healthcare bill that the majority of Americans do not want.

In addition I am disturbed by Spratt’s Congressional earmarks which he claims is “bringing home the bacon” but in a recent article from a longitudinal study from 1967 to 2008 by a team of professors from Harvard it was reported that federal funding from earmark projects actually prevent jobs from being created in the private sector and overall earmarks result in an average 15% reduction in capital expenditures by private businesses.

Wayne Fisher
    Independent Voter
    Sun City Carolina Lakes

2. Mick will always do what is right for the people of S.C, He was taught by his parents that, If you work hard and do the right thing you will be rewarded. He will make sure all people get a fair deal in Washington.

3. William Floyd says:

Well before the healthcare vote, I tried to e-mail Mr. Spratt to implore him to vote against it. His e-mail was inoperable for several weeks! This is inexcusable for a sitting member of Congress!I suspect he was tired of getting an earfull. I wrote him snail mails! Finally his e-mail came up and I e-mailed him at least 3 times against Obamacare. I got 1 canned, rambling reply that brushed me off. A friend of mine called all 3 of his offices imploring a vote against Obamacare. Since he is unresponsive to his constituents, I want him out, and someone in who will listen to the constituents. We are drowning in debt- CUT SPENDING!!! Yes, even entitlements!

4. Paul Terry Stone says:

Spratt sponsored the Health Care Bill and faithfully supported the Democratic Party line on other bills. We don’t need him any more and he doesn’t represent this District currently.

5. I also e-mailed Rep Spratt several times telling him to vote against ObamaCare and the reasons why I was against it and all I got was political double talk. I told him if he voted for ObamaCare I would vote him out and I will vote for Mick Mulvaney. I voted for Spratt 3 times since moving to South Carolina and He does not care for the people of South Carolina. See everyone at the poles in November to vote Spratt out!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Jack Cook says:

When I was unable to contact Spratt in the weeks leading up to the health care vote using e-mail and telephone calls, I went to his office in Sumter. I spoke to Linda, the office manager, and told her of my concerns. She told me just one week prior to the final vote by the House that
    “John has not yet made up his mind about heath care”. Imagine my shock to see him as the floor manager of the health care legislation.

John is a FAR LEFT legislative clown and a first class liar. He is an Obama, Pelosi, Reid puppet. What a joke. I am embarassed to say that in the past I have actually voted for him.

VOTE HIM OUT BEFORE HE DOES ANY MORE DAMAGE TO OUR REPUBLIC

Jack Cook
    Sumter, SC

7. John Mandeville says:

The facts hang Spratt. Simply look at the incredible skyrocketing budget deficits and resulting national debt since he and the Democrats took control of Congress in 2006.

Further, his Budget Committee put forward the current budget which has us spending almost two dollars for every one collected.

And he calls himself a “budget hawk”!

He and his cohorts must go!

8. MIKE LOCKLAIR says:

WHO IN THE WORLD MAKES UP THIS 30%? THIS IS THE SAME ONES THAT VOTED FOR OBAMA,AND WILL AGAIN BLINDLY. GOD HELP US. GO MICK!

9. Mark Ellis says:

Keep up the good fight! God speed from Charleston.

10. Andrew Still says:

I am from the SC 3rd congressional district (gresham barrett) and often wondered how in the world Mr. Spratt was elected in SC! He is a rank idealogue who is not capable of independent thought outside his party! He voted for the health care bill but railed against Bush and the deficit when he was president. I hope you guys vote him out.

11. ross mckee says:

I have never been this political. The healthcare bill sent me over the edge. I have been calling friends in the 5th district trying to drum up support for Mulvaney. Spratt has got to go!!